Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1998 Sea Ray with a 4.3L Merccruiser engine. It has

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Sea Ray with a 4.3L Merccruiser engine. It has a new battery and last summer I replaced the electrical components. This summer I drained the gas and put new gas in the tank. The engine sometimes starts right away and idles rough or it will not start until I open the throttle as if it is flooded. After the engine runs 30 min at 3,000 rpm cruising around the lake I slow down & take it out of gear in idle. Then engine runs rough then dies. I have to open the throttle all the way and crank a while for it to start. I'm thinking it may be a carburetor problem. What do you think?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** a flooding carburetor issue. When the engine stops and you go to restart it remove the flame arrestor and look down inside the carburetor do you see fuel dribbling in the carb? Now you could have a vapor lock issue also. Do this check first before we go into vapor lock issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in San Antonio, TX and the boat is at my house. I will check for the dripping when I get home in a couple hours. When is the best time to get back with you?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Anytime between 8am to 8 pm PST.