Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Loss of power on my 2004 Yamaha 115 4 stroke. Background,

Customer Question

Loss of power on my 2004 Yamaha 115 4 stroke. Background, had the fuel system worked on because it would not start. $1700 later I put the boat in the water to test drive. Got a good start from the launch then about a mile into the drive had overheating issues. Changed the thermostat, test drive. Now cant get over 3700 rpm and it lacks power, no overheat issues though
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Do a compression test on the engine. Make sure that hen it got hot you did not hurt the block. If the compression is less that 180 PSI, you will need to figure out where the problem lies, Rings, valves, or cylinder head gasket.