Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2001 Searay 380 with twin 454 MPI Horizon engines

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Searay 380 with twin 454 MPI Horizon engines I just bought used, battery charger went bad and I am replacing that, but I noticed when I charged both sets of batteries with an external charger that now all of a sudden neither starter engages, just spin??? I find it hard to believe both starters went bad at same time, BTW the engines only have 200 hours each,
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** need to check that you reconnected all the battery cables to the batteries. It is [possible a cable fell down and did not egt connected when you replaced the batteries. The is most likely a voltage delivery issue as both starters won't go bad with the same symptoms at the same time. If all cables are connected we will need a volt meter to do some voltage tests. Post back with findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of bullshit answer is that? I am not paying for a simple minded answer like that!!!!Moron!
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
That wasn't an answer that was a check. Wouldn't you feel pretty bad to find out it is something that simple. I did ask to post back with your findings. I did ask if you had a volt meter to do some testing. I haven't given you an answer. If you don't have the time to do these checks then what is it you want from me with no testing on your part? Do you know for a fact all the cable are connected. I have been doing this for 40+ years and have seen this happen more than one time. I always do the simple first. Ok do this if you can. Check the voltage at the starter terminal do you have 12 volts? If you have voltage then check foe voltage on the same terminal when key is in the crank position. The foul language is unnecessary.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Take it to your dealer see what he charges you.Good luck.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Do this simple test. Turn the keys on. do all of the gauges come up to where they should be. Especially the volt gauge. If the gauges peg out downward, the battery has reversed polarity, unless it is not in-place correctly. It is very easy to install a marine battery backwards and also charge them that way when using an external charger.