Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA
30381042

I am having possible steering issues with my 96 superstport xi 750. ran great few ho

Customer Question

I am having possible steering issues with my 96 superstport xi 750. ran great for a few hours then all of a sudden I went to take off and could barely stay on the machine. it was fighting me as to which direction it wanted to turn and non responsive to steering. nursed it back in and on the way back it seemed better at mid range speeds. wide open however it will turn out of nowhere and throw me from the machine. it comes and goes, works fine for a while then acts up. steering components seem ok but im not an expert. all the while the handlebars moved freely and never froze up, the machine was just non responsive. also the front end moves up and down when it feels like it, this may be a trim issue though as my power trim is currently broken. Can the trim move on its own hitting waves and such?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for the request, who am i speaking with ? Not real clear on everything, first off does the engine seems to be performing as normal or are there issues there ? Next you say when the ski gets up to speed then it will make a sudden turn wanting to throw you off ? I want you to check one thing here, go to the back of the ski and grab the directional nozzle (turning nozzle) and see if you can move it up and down, it should technically not move, it will however move side to side with the handlebars. Let meknow what you come up with there, ThanksKenny
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is Adam,Engine responds and performs excellent. This seems to be a steering or maybe trim problem. The steering seems to intermittently stick to the right. is it possible the steering cable is kinking. Even when this happens the handlebars turn freely its just the machine does not respond, is it possible to have the cable kink somewhere allowing the bars to still turn but have no response at the directional nozzle in the rear. I have to lean hard left and turn the bars to make it go left as if the machine is fighting me and still trying to go to the right. It is so bad at times if I come to a stop and then start to go the machine wobbles really bad while I fight to keep it straight and Its really difficult to stay on.In regards ***** ***** question the nozzle does not move up and down, only side to side as it should. The steering cable did stick a little once on dry land but was corrected when the bars were moved. This model has the spring that always pulls the handlebars to the right when your not moving them and I turned all the way left and the spring did no pull it back. the directional nozzle still moved with the bars though. Not sure if this is related but when riding the machine will have the nose way up in the air and I scoot up to set it down and sometimes when the nose is up it then drops down without scooting up and almost wants to nose dive. the reverse also happens when the nose is real low the back end will drop. its like the trim is moving on its own, is this possible? As I said before the power trim is currently broken. and as for the sudden turns that throw me off the machine, I will be at a steady speed and the machine will wobble back and forth for a second and if I don't let off the throttle it turns whatever direction it pleases (usually right) and off I go. its as if im wiggling the handlebars befer jerking them to the right, only problem is I am not doing this lol.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Adam, you might have a cable issue, what happens in the cable outer get corroded and then the plastic cover opens up and the cable outer try's to push itself out, that would require to replace the cable assembly, if you disconnect the cable from the directional nozzle and then activate the cable from the rear of the ski and see if it feels smooth, if not the cable will need to be replaced,
Second, look at the nozzle (up and down) you basically want it parallel with the bottom of the hull, this will put it on the most neutral position, if it isn't you can open up the trim box and move the screw to get it in the neutral position.
Also Adam, make sure not is hanging down on the bottom of the hull, like a broken intake grate or the ride plate is hanging down, this will cause abrupt turns.
Let me know if this helps, if you have further questions let me know.
Kenny