Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I thought I was in a conversation with Tan. I am confused.

Customer Question

I thought I was in a conversation with Tan. I am confused. My original question was in solving a problem with my Evinrude 90HP e-tec tilt & trim works fine with the switch on the motor, but only trim down works at the consoler (I have a BRP side mount control lever with ignition switch on the bottom of the controls) on the console. Tan said bad swith or break in wire. Just got it back from the dealer for a no-start problem which turned out to be bad ground, dealer cleaned and replaced all ground wire connections at the battery.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. You are and I replied to all your replies. Here is the link. http://www.justanswer.com/boat/96zl4-2006-evinrude-90hp-e-tec-o-motor-tilt-motor-down-work.html It really doesn't matter what the dealer did as it doesn't work now. The dealer wouldn't have domne anything with the trim switch or wiring from the control to the engine. Grounds won't have anything to do with the trim switch operation. This is either a bad trim switch in the handle or a broken wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I did not mean to say the dealer did anything to cause the problem, as all the work he did was at the battery terminals.
Agree with you that the switch is bad, but am leaning toward a broken wire, as I have seen views of the controls, and the trim wire loops around a big plastic cog. Am I right in the belief that I have to remove the control from the console and remove the center bolt and take the handle off the control housing?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yes you are correct in your assumption.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is 107. I am going to wait until the sun goes down a bit more, and take the thing apart. If there is no obvious break. I may need more detail on how and where to use the jumper wire.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok what you will want to do is find the closest connection point where the trim switch connects to the harness. Usually the trim switch has a harness that is about 2 feet long. So you should be able to locate the plug. Disconnect the plug and jump between the wires. This will be only 3 wires blue, red and green. You want to jump from the red to each of the colored wires. The engine should trim up and down. If it works then the trim switch is the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
jumped and both up and down work. So I need a new trim switch and direction on how to replace it. Also found neutral lock plate is broken at one of its two mounting screws. How do I order the parts I need?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what's next?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Does this look like your control? http://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/OBAccessories/2000/REMOTE%20CONTROLS/REMOTE%20CONTROL%20-%20SIDE%20MOUNT%20-%20KEY%20SWITCH%20(SYSTEM%20CHECK)/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not think so. My neutral lock plate is semi-circular, and what my literature calls a "neutral locking plate" is semi-circular, and # ***** "Index plate, Neutral plate" in your exploded view is a complete circle. My owner's manual shows (4) Evinrude controls, and my controls appear to be shown in the picture titled "Evinrude Redesigned side mount control. That is the piece that is broken at one of the two mounting screw holes. Here is the link to what I think my control unit looks like http://www.evinrudeonlineparts.com/OemParts#%2fEvinrude%2fREMOTE_CONTROLS%2fREMOTE_CONTROL_-_SURFACE_MOUNT_(E-TEC_STYLING)%2f63052%2f63134
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok you found the control you have. What can I help you with here? I have helped with the diagnosis of the problem. I guess you have the control apart or you wouldn't have found the broken parts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the control arm off, but do not know how to get the bad trim switch out or the new one in. It looks like there are two screws that hold a metal strap across the moving part in the handle engages the cog that changes from neutral to forward and reverse. The wires to the trim switch go behind that but It is not obvious to me how that moveable part come as it looks like you have to slide it out, but the center hub will prevent this. If you can show me pictures and direction describing how to do that then I think you will have giving me the information I need.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The strap # ***** has to be removed from the handle # ***** then pull the plastic lock # ***** out. Then you can remove the trim switch. To get the wires out remove the cover # ***** Then you will have to pull the wires out of the box. You will have to remove the pins out of the plug. There are no real written instructions on removal. I don't have a control in front of me to be exact I can only go by the diagram posted here.http://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/OBAccessories/2005/REMOTE%20CONTROLS/REMOTE%20CONTROL%20-%20SURFACE%20MOUNT/parts.html