Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

Jeff I have and old inboard omc leg sterndrive. I think

Customer Question

Hi jeff
I have and old inboard omc leg sterndrive. I think its eirly 80s , 3.8l v6 everything runs well , when prop is engaged it spins but when it is in the water , as soon as you start to put power to the leg it slips to the point where you cant hardly move, im assuming its a sheered press pin or a clutch system that is wore out.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
The problem won't be in the drive but would be the propeller itself. Your propeller has a rubber hub between the splines of the gearcase and the prop itself. this is for underwater strike protection. After a period of time either through age or striking something, even months before this rubber hub starts slipping getting worse and worse until you have no propulsion.There is a fix. You can see if there is a propeller repair shop in your area or take the propeller to any marine dealer, they should send it off to have a new hub put in. It is not expensive.There is a test you can do yourself.Put the prop back on the lower unit. Put a small piece of 2X4 wood between the propeller and the cavitation plate so the prop doesn't move. Put a large socket on the prop nut and see if you can turn the prop shaft. If you can and the propeller doesn't move the hub is gone, replace it.Post back with any further questions on this,Thanks