Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

The reverse lock level on my 1971 60 Johnson is frozen. It

Customer Question

The reverse lock level on my 1971 60 Johnson is frozen. It looks like the engine needs to be removed from the transom attach part to get out this manual mechanism. Is it really going to be this involved?
Alternately, the user manual says a power tilt was available as an option. Are these still available through some OMC or after maker places? Suggestions?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appear that what is "frozen" is the shaft from the lever in the bushing. The mechanism on the other side that engages the clamps seems fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In reviewing the users manual, I now see that the lever is frozen in the LOCK position, yet the clamps are not engaged, so there may be more wrong than just the shaft front the lever being rusted in the bushing
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
First of all power trim is no longer available for your engine. There are some powered transom jacks that you can mount between the engine and boat that will allow you to trim the unit. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Boating-Outboards-Accessories/Power-Lifts-Trim-Tilt|/pc/104794380/c/104752980/sc/104512680/CMC-Power-Tilt-and-Trim/700021.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FPower-Lifts-Trim-Tilt%2F104512680.uts To get to the midsection you have to remove the engine from the boat. At the top of the stern bracket is a bolt on either side. Simply remove these bolts and using an engine hoist lift up on the engine off the transom. Further disassembly will depend on what you find. If you can take a few pictures of the mid after removal I can guide you to what you need to do.