Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

115hp 1995 mercury outboard. trim tab switch on throttle when

Customer Question

115hp 1995 mercury outboard. trim tab switch on throttle when pressed for "up" position moves engine all the way up even after no longer being pressed and continues going up even when down switch is pressed. Switch by the motor works fine both up and down.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** the switch at the control does it quit trimming?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm assuming you mean disconnect the switch at the throttle handle? If so, how do I aces the switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my message in response to your question?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
I'm Sorry I have other customers. Yes the control is the throttle control. You will have to access the control. Do you know the model of the control. The switch is most likely bad so you will need to remove the control handle. I need to know the model?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not at the boat so I will have to get back to you sometime today. Any particular "trick" to access the switch in the throttle that would help me?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
You have to remove the handle and they have a bunch of different models of controls and all the handles come off differently. Now you could go to the back of the control or under the control depending on what control you have an find the blue/white, green/white and red wires unplug then otr cut the red wire. If the trim quits working then the switch is the problem. I will be here all day. Thank you,,,,,Tan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New info. It's not the throttle switch that is the problem. Is the engine switch. When I raise the engine with the engine switch and I let to go, it does not return to the off position continues going up versus stopping. The engine switch works fine lowering the engine. I had that switch changed a few weeks ago by a "vey good" mechanic because it was not working at all. Obviously the job was not done correctly. I also do not understand why the engine would go up by itself when at cruising speed which scares the hell out of my wife! Any thoughts or comments?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Here is the info you posted in your first post. "Switch by the motor works fine both up and down." This contradicts what you just said. If you disconnect the switch at the motor does the trim work correctly? If yes then the switch on the motor is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My initial assumption was incorrect. It is not the throttle switch. It works fine after checking out its working multiple times this morning. The engine switch is the problem. I've contacted the mechanic that changed it a couple of weeks ago so he can fix it. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok check the switch. I would just disconnect that switch for now. Thank you.....Tan
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Please don't forget to positively rate me for my help to you as this is the only way I get paid. Thank you......Tan