Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

1992 Regency I/O with Cobra 5.0 is having a hard time shifting

Customer Question

1992 Regency I/O with Cobra 5.0 is having a hard time shifting back into neutral or reverse once prop is engaged. Got it out on water and reversed back out of trailer. Then put it into gear and drove boat around a bit. But, then i could not get the boat out of drive and into neutral or reverse. Had to turn off motor and get a tow back to dock.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** a bad ESA module or the shift interrupt switch is bad. Locate the shift bracket # ***** then locate the shift switch # ***** with engine running press the lever on the shift switch does engine stumble or run rough? If no with you ohm meter test the function of the shift switch. Unplug the switch and test between the 2 pins of the switch when activating the switch does the ohm meter move?http://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/SternDrive/1992/502APRAMH/SHIFT%20BRACKET/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any diagrams or pics? That would help. Thanks.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Did you open the link I posted it has the diagram of both parts I am referring to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looked like it was only a part list with prices. But I'll look again.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Here is jut a pic. # ***** is the shift bracket and # ***** is the switch. http://cdn.boats.net/diagram/omc/IMAGES/987105/19.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is this bracket located on the boat? Is it just behind the throttle control next to steering. or by engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind. I found it. Is there any special way to get at it? Or do you have to come from underneath?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The shift bracket is on the engine. You will have 2 shift cable going to the bracket. One from the drive the other from the control.