Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

How do I get a frozen zinc anode out of heat exchanger? It

Customer Question

How do I get a frozen zinc anode out of heat exchanger? It has separated from the plug.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Is the anode plugging the hole, preventing you from putting a new one in? Or is it just missing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dave
anode is plugging hole
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dave. How much room do you have to work? Do you have a foot or two, or is it real tight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is probably about 18 inches between the anode and bottom of boat. I was thinking of drilling around the perimeter of the anode with my dremel power tool but then I think the anode will fall into the exchanger. How hard is it to take the cover off and do you need to replace a gasket?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
To be honest if the anode fell in I wouldn't worry about it. Just stick the new on in as well and run it. It's not going to be enough to hurt anything, and it will eventually dissolve. To get it out the anode what I would do is get a very basic auotbody dent puller slide hammer. Drill a small pilot hole in the middle of the anode. Screw in the dent puller. And give it a couple of light taps with the slide hammer and it will pop right out. Click this link, this is the tool I mean. - http://3mcollision.com/products/tools/body-repair-accessories/bondo-dent-puller-953.htmlDoes that all make sense?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.
Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. And if I have saved you quite a bit of money, or saved you a trip to the dealer, tips are always greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I was just checking in because no rating has been put through yet. Did you have any further questions on the issue?