Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

Jeff...I have a small outboard (8hp tohatsu 4 stroke) Last

Customer Question

hi Jeff...I have a small outboard (8hp tohatsu 4 stroke) Last week I ran aground in shallow water and should have taken it out of gear sooner. After getting out of shallow water, I started noticing some leaking oil into water and engine running rough. Engine cut out. I paddled home and the engine started up again. Red oil pressure light had come on. I changed both the engine and gear oil and motor starts right up. I am still seeing oil leaking but it does not appear to be coming from head area. I believe it must be lower gear assembly. What could that be in terms of a repair? Seals?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
You need to run the engine on the hose for a couple minutes with the propeller off. See if you can spot where the fluid is coming from.Take a block of wood or concrete block and put it about 2" from the propeller shaft with the prop off. Put a pencil on the block and put the point right up to the prop shaft. By hand turn the prop shaft while holding the pencil steady. See if the prop shaft wobbles. If so you need the shaft straightened or replaced. If it doesn't wobble then the shaft is OK.If the only place you are getting this oil is from the lower unit and not from the lower unit seals then it may be nothing more than a little fuel that was unburned and running down the exhaust. Smell the oil and see if it smells like gas.Don't overfill the oil in the engine nor the lower unit.was the gear oil clear or black, not coffee with cream colored?A qualified service shop can pressure test the gearcase for you as well.post back what you find.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jeff. I will try this.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how it goes.