Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Im putting a new ignition switch into my mercury thunderbolt

Customer Question

Im putting a new ignition switch into my mercury thunderbolt 1979 and the letters on the new one i bought arent the same. For the original it has M B S I A M. My new ones are G L S M B their is one that is blank. I dont know which from the first go to the second
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 6 prong and original also has letter C but nothing was connected to it. On original,
S - yellow
B - White
M - orange
M - black
I - red
C - nothing connected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
What brand is the second switch? I don't know of any marine switch with those ID letters?
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
What is the HP and serial number of your motor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I jus bought it from the napa store they said it would work. Its a 40 hp and i cannot find where the serial number would be
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serial is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not where I can call right now. I'd be glad to help. Is this an automotive switch? You should have a dedicated marine switch with 6 terminals. It should be of black plastic type material not brass or metal. Is this what you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it is metal but box says it works for boats
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I keep trying to add a picture of it but it just savea photo then nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nevermind guess it sent
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you guys send my moneys back? Im jus going to buy a plastic one of ebay instead of dealing with all of this.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
You have the wrong switch, for your motor none of the switches are made of metal. That would be for an old inboard type engine. I would be glad to continue working with you on this. If you want to stop right now just contact customer service from the link on your screen.