Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Any help/information will be gratefully appreciated, Thank

Customer Question

Any help/information will be gratefully appreciated, Thank You in advance!
I recently purchased a used 18' 1999 Wellcraft Fisherman. Are there any issues with the hull that I should be aware of because of the boat's age. There are no obvious stress cracks. What transom material (1999) was used in construction? What about the integrity of the level foam flotation? I recently sold a my 36 year old 14' Sturdee amesbury dory lap streak boat that had level flotation. Over time because I wasn't paying attention to water openings either drilled when adding accessories, age separation at the transom, all the insulation was saturated with water and added a dangerous amount of weight to the boat. The transom and floor sections (soft spots) were removed and replaced before sale. Is the above problem a characteristicof this 1999 well craft hull? Today, I know boats are being built with composites and core materials that do not absorb water.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
I worked at a place and we had 2 of these boats as rentals used in salt water. The boats held up well t the abuse that they saw. The hulls were sound. The outer material transom material is fiberglass along with the inner. The center of the transom is marine grade plywood. As long as the transom has been sealed when any transducers or the engine was installed, it will be ok.
Soft spots can develop in any fiberglass hull over time. It just depends on how the boat was taken care of. If you done see anything major wrong with the boat, it is a good little fishing boat.