Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

We are attempting to use a salvaged 2012 evinrude tech 300hp

Customer Question

We are attempting to use a salvaged 2012 evinrude tech 300hp outboard. It was originally one of two mounted outboards. The other is running fine, this one will not start via the ignition but can be jump started and can work the throttle by hand but the key won't start it and is completely unresponsive otherwise. It seems to have a communication issue with the ignition/ forward helm control. Help!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Swap the position of the key switch harnesses from engine to engine. Try to start both of them. If the same engine still will not start, it is most likely going to be en in the EMM. If it does now start, replace the key switch harness. If they now both start, you just had a bad connection.