Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Good morning I have a 1989 Cobra/5.8 omc .I'm changing the

Customer Question

Good morning I have a 1989 Cobra/5.8 omc .I'm changing the oil in the lower unit. I could only get 1 Qt into unit through the upper drain hole.the topped off through the top dip stick hole. Am i ok with this or not
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
What are you calling an upper drain hole? There is only 1 drain hole on the sterndrive, and that is down the bottom.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ted The upper fill plug is wat I ment
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ted. Did you fill from the bottom drain/fill plug until oil came out of that upper fill plug first? If yes. When you move the pump to the upper plug and pumped, are you getting any reading at all on the dipstick?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i did not fill from the bottom drain 1st it's not showing that in my Bayliner manual. I filled from the upper fill hole then topped or finished throu dip stick hole. I now know the filling thru the dip stick hole is wrong.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
There is a very specific way to fill these units, and if not done properly the sterndrive will not properly fillup and take enough oil. (and if that happens it will blow the gears up on you).I'm attaching a picture, open up this image
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
And click this link to pull up a diagram. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/SternDrive/1989/502AMLMED/UPPER%20GEAR%20HOUSING/parts.html
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The correct way to fill this lower unit up is to remove the lower plug, the middle plug and the top dipstick. Pump in gear lube from the lower plug until it comes out of the middle plug. Stick the middle plug back in. Remove the pump and stick the lower plug back in. Remove the middle plug and screw in the pump and pump until the correct level is reached on the dipstick. Remove the pump and stick the plug back in. That is the correct way to fill it. Does that all make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I started and ran the engine after i filled. the oil looked milky. I had test muffs on the out drive for cooling. Now should I drain all the oil and start over?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you fill it exactly as how I described? If no, then yes you would need to drain it and start over.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I'm going to start over drain,and refill by your instructions. Now after I ran it up before oil was milky. Was that caused by filling the oil the wrong way,. I;had the out drive tested before i stored the boat vacuum and pressure. they said no leaks.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
When you say you ran it, was that in the driveway on a hose. Or with the boat in the water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in the drive way.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you ran it in the driveway then there is no way you could have put water in the sterndrive. It has a bad seal someplace and was leaking before you bought it. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Was there anything else I could help you with on the issue? If yes, please ask. If no, Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.
Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. And if I have saved you quite a bit of money, or saved you a trip to the dealer, tips are always greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I was just checking in because no rating has been put through yet. Did you have any further questions on the issue?