Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1985 Evinrude 120 that I just bought. The motor runs

Customer Question

I have a 1985 Evinrude 120 that I just bought. The motor runs rough at idle. I checked the compression and it was 91 on all 4 cylinders. Two of the plugs were wet with fuel. One was very wet. What do you think is the problem?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** is most likely a spark issue. We need to do a spark test. This has to be done with a spark gap tester to determine if you have spark and the strength of the spark. You can get this type tester at an auto parts store. Post back with findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, is 91 psi ok for a 1985 120 Evinrude?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Its on the low side but you are mostly interested in the difference between cylinders. They are close so the engine should run as it does run on 2 cylinder now..