Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a Cummins QS L9 Marine engine in a boat. the boat is

Customer Question

I have a Cummins QS L9 Marine engine in a boat. the boat is running along at 1600 RPMs and it loses all of its RPM and the computer screen shuts off and then it immediately comes back on, the screen reboots itself. we checked all the electrical connections, all the plugs that go to and from the power source to the computer and found one loose connection. We plugged in the loose connection and replaced the batteries to the engine but the problem has occurred again. The captain checked the plug and the connection was fine. The computer screen is giving no error codes.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
What you have happening is that you are loosing the connection of the key switch. This is stopping the engine for just a moment and bringing bit back when the connection regains. Separate the harness at the engine and make sure that all f the posts are fully engaging the other end of the plug .