Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Own an 8.1 L Mercruiser 2004, went to fire it up first time

Customer Question

Own an 8.1 L Mercruiser 2004, went to fire it up first time this season, it would crank and start letting it warm up a few minutes, but after putting in gear it died. Recranked it got it to engage in gear but sounded like only half the cylinders were working. Maximum rpm is 1400 engaged no matter where the throttle was. After putting in gear running rough. Stored in a heated garage for winter but didn't stabilize the 40 gallons of fuel in the dual each of the dual tanks. Added Lucas Fuel addititive to clean injectors and ran it it for another hour under a load, same problem. Any ideas or solutions, tried to find the fuel filter since our boat tech can't look at it for two weeks. Thanks John, stranded in Wyoming.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you want to talk, my cell# *****(###) ###-####
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Male sure that the shift switch is not being stuck. When you shift the engine the switch momentarily stops a few of the cylinders. If it is sticking, it will not allow the other cylinders to come back and ifre properly.