Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I have a 2005 Suzuki 40 hp 4 stroke ,it runs great for

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2005 Suzuki 40 hp 4 stroke ,it runs great for about a 8th of a mile then the alarm comes on and it starts running bad the engine pulsating up and down. I can turn it off and it runs great for another 8th of a mile then does the same thing again,i can do this over and over ,same thing every time ,please Help
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
After you turn it off then turn the key to on does the alarm sound immediately or only after the 1/8 mile?Is the water indicator showing good water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no alarm before the 8th mile and yes water is flowing good
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Check your oil level. If the level is above full you are "making oil", if low you don't have enough and you are losing oil pressure. The engne is going into a "guardian" mode to keep from damaging the engine. When you turn off the key you are resetting the alarm until it trips again.Post back what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The oil looks clean and is about a 1/4 inch above the full mark
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
You are probably "making oil", by this we mean the engine is getting fuel into the crankcase and diluting the oil. Oil is critical in these engines. When this happens the diluted oil doesn't make the proper oil pressure and sets off the alarm.There are a few things you can do.First is to drain all the oil and change the oil filter and refill with fresh oil. Make sure not to overfill.Next if you have one or you may be able to borrow one from a local auto parts store, get an oil pressure gauge. It screws in where the oil sender is and while running the boat you can monitor the oil pressure and see if it drops appreciatively.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I changed the spark plugs there was a little oil on one of the plugs this motor only has 100 hrs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that a result of making oil?
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
I can't say why you have oil on the plugs without examining the engine. If you have a problem in that cylinder, such as a broken ring then you will get fuel into the crankcase and oil on the plug. I would recommend doing a leakdown test of the engine to see if you are getting any leakage in that cylinder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jeff i am trying to give you a rating ,but its not letting me
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Try now