Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Scott! I have a 1980 Pre Alpha outdrive. I have changed

Customer Question

Hi scott!
I have a 1980 Pre Alpha outdrive. I have changed out the water pump reassembled the unit and now the drive shaft seems locked in place. I took off the lower unit and it will spin. The upper unit will not. I also check the top gears in the upper unit and they are good. Last note is that the unit sat for three years after I changed the water pump.
Thanks for your help.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?Can you be more specific by what you mean like the drive shaft seems locked in place?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Mark. What I mean it will not rotate. the good news is I got it freed up last night. it seems like the drive shaft moved in axially in the housing. hard to explain via a email. But perhaps we can explain how the shaft can shift. does there need to be a axial load on the drive shaft? Is it axial loaded when installed on the boat?MarkMark
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mark. You are talking about the lower unit correct? (and not the upper)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay I ran into a problem with my gambol bearing! I am talking about the upper unit. Lower unit is fine!
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mark. Is the upper unit attached to the transom or is it on a workbench?