Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 150 OptiMax 2008 engine that has started the alarm

Customer Question

I have a 150 OptiMax 2008 engine that has started the alarm siren when I am pulling people on an inner tube; usually when I am in a turn so there is maximum stress. I had to replace 2 coil assembly units two summers ago as they were not getting any spark.
After the siren, we shut down, then motored back to dock. during return trip, engine fluctuated between 40 and 43 on tach without me touching the throttle. Running rough and sounds rough. Is this dangerous to use until I can get into a shop. First appointment available at authorized Mercury shop is middle of August.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
If the alarm tone was a solid one, replace the water ump impeller. It is only good for 1 yr on this engine. If it was a beeping alarm, make sure that the oil tank is totally full and that there is no water in the fuel filter.