Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

How do I fix my leaking packing on my 1980 marine carver

Customer Question

How do I fix my leaking packing nut on my 1980 marine carver 33 ft v drive
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** can just tighten the packing nut a bit.If that doesn't work, you will need to replace the packing in the gland.This can be done with the boat in the water, you need to get some packing of the right size.Wrap it around the shaft and cut three pieces so that the ends just meet when wrapped around the shaft and have them handy.Then remove the packing nut and slide it back, use a pick to pull out the old packing, water will start coming in so you need to keep going until the packing is replaced.Put the packing in one wrap at a time, use some kind of tool to push the first wrap all the way into the gland.Align the second wrap so that it's ends meet in a different place than the first one.Repeat for the third wrap, they usually take three.Start the nut into the gland, start the engine and put it in gear at idle, then tighten the nut a bit at a time until it drips once every few seconds.You don't want it so tight that it doesn't drip at all, that would burn out the new packing and damage the shaft.Hope this helps, let me know if this isn't clear enough for you.