Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a Honda BF75

Customer Question

Hello. My name is Dave. I have a Honda BF75
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Honda BF75 7.5 HP outboard engine. It ran however I noticed that fuel was coming out of the carb just forward of the idle adjust screw. Just forward of the idle adjust screw is an opening. It is not threaded, and points forward and sideways at about 45 degrees. The engine ran pretty well other than this.What can I do to stop this? Is this supposed to happen? Is there a hose missing for this opening? Any information you can provide will be most appreciated. Thank you for your time.I should point out that I have a second engine of the same make and I swapped the carb but this time it wouldn't start. Do you recommend I fix the carb that leaks or would you adjust the carb that doesn't start the engine? If you recommend adjusting the carb, where should I set everything? The owner's manual provides no real or useful guidance.Thank you for your time.Best Regards,Dave Borgioli(###) ###-####
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dave, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
What you have on the first carb is a sticking needle. You would need to take it all apart and really clean it out using a good quality carb cleaner.
Then put it back together using are gaskets and a new needle.
The second carb sounds like it needs to be cleaned as well, just that the jets inside it are clogged.
I would clean the first one, since the engine ran on that one, then clean the second later as spare parts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Charles,Thank you for your reply. I figured out the first one. I took the float off and cleaned the needle as well as cleaned everything again. That solved the problem. I am guessing that the needle stuck, allowing the gas to fill the carb and pour out the vent. Regardless, it runs like a champ, and starts easily.Thanks for the advice on the second carb. I will do that this week sometime, at least it will be this week in theory! Thanks again and have a great weekend.Best Regards,Dave
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Dave, Glad to help.