Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a*****and it jumped out of drive like i

Customer Question

i have a*****and it jumped out of drive like i hit something . would not go back in gear forward or reverse. Prop insert is new. cables were replaced about 6 or 7 years ago. when i would shift into gear the outdrive would engage somewhat hard. the out drive is 3yrs, old . sterndrive engineering outdrive. out of warrenty
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
If you push the shifter into forward gear, can you turn the propeller either direction?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just before I put the boat into the water the prop was engaged. I drove the boat 600ft. and it jumped ot of gear and would not go back into gear. No noise when it happen. had to be towed back in
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Are you near the boat now or no?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Also, what do you mean by new prop insert? Are you talking about the hub?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
plastic insert that goes inside the prop hub. i will be at my boat tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did the problem happen and then you replaced the insert, and then tried again? At what stage did you replace the insert? The reason i'm asking is the sterndrive can't jump out of gear once shifted. The clutch inside of it doesn't work that way. So something else is going on and i'm trying to narrow it down with questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent the whole out drive down to sterndrive engineering for this complaint. they said they would stand by the warrenty so they replaced the lower unit of outdrive I guess. It looks new. thought the problem was solved but it was not solved. I had one month left on warranty . put the boat in after the warranty expired. then i call stern drive engineering, told I still had the same problem. they would not stand by the warranty. so i still have the problem,
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you notice any smoke from the engine compartment when this happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no not all
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
At this point you need to pop it into gear and try to turn the prop in both directions and let me know what happens, and we can take it from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok talk to you tomorrow
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking in. Never heard back from you. Any luck?