Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 2003 evinrude 90 ficht and am having trouble with

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2003 evinrude 90 ficht and am having trouble with it going into reverse. Removed the gear case, took off the shift shaft cover and was able to shift into into reverse, neutral and foreword fine. Put the shaft cover back on installed shaft and it will not shift into reverse and barely into neutral. Is there anything I can do without pulling the bearing carrier out?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** the shift rod move up and down freely with gearcase off? When you had the shift cover off did the shift rod slide freely in the cover with no effort?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it did not. With the gear case off I cannot move the shifter into reverse. Took the shift cover off and reinstalled shift rod and can move through the gears fine. It's like something is out of place making the shift linkage sit too low
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The shift rod did not slide freely with the cover off it was a pretty tight seal
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok the o-ring and bushing in the shift cover are corroded causing the shift rod to bind not allowing it to shift correctly. Now did you happen to check the shift rod height before you unscrewed the shift rod. Then check the measurement when you reassembled?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Which is it you said " Took the shift cover off and reinstalled shift rod and can move through the gears fine" Then you said "The shift rod did not slide freely with the cover off it was a pretty tight seal"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would be much easier to explain over the phone... Ok with everything assembled as it first came off of the motor: cannot manually shift into neutral or reverse, stays stuck in forward. Took off shaft cover, moves like it should but with slight resistance from the o-ring seal on the cover. Removed rod from cover threaded back into shifter, moves through all gears. If I try and install cover and shifter in reverse gear, shifter will not even thread, has to be in forward to thread back on. i did record rod height before disassembling.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok sent additional services. It is extra for phone conversation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks. I will continue with this method.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok what you have here is a o-ring and bushing in the shift cover that is corroded causing the shift to be stiff. Pull the shift cover off remove the o-ring and clean out any corrosion in the o-ring groove. Replace o-ring then install the shift rod check shift rod height then screw the shift cover back down. I will need the engine model number for shift rod height. Do you follow the procedure and does this make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 100% sure that the shift cover is not the issue. The whole cover was replaced a couple of years ago and both seals are still new looking, the shifter is not stiff as it slides down through the cover. It is stopped by the cover because of the bend in the rod not allowing it to go down past a certain point. I have a service manual for rod height.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Which shift rod cover are you referring to? The cover I am referring to is about 20 inches away from the bend in the shift rod cover. " It is stopped by the cover because of the bend in the rod not allowing it to go down past a certain point."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The shift shaft cover. The shift shaft has a bend in it about halfway down.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The only bend you should have is at the very top of the shift rod it is supposed to be straight except for the very top.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
# ***** is the shift rod and it is straight. The shift rod cover is # ***** http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/2003/E90FPLSTB/GEARCASE%20-%20FPL,%20FSL%20MODELS/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hmm.. I will check on that but it looks manufactured that way. Thank you.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.............Thank you.......Tan There is no reason for a bend in the middle. The shift rod goes straight up through the swivel tube. The bend is only at the top to connect to the shift linkage at the top. The shift rod height is imporatant and will not allow proper shift if no correct. You measure from the top of the gearcase to the middle of the hole in neutral. Once you get the gearcase installed disconnect the shift cable and shift the engine manually it should go through all the gears. Then put the engine in neutral and the control in neutral and adjust the cable so it fits in the linkage without moving the shift linkage. Post back if you need further assistance. Thank you.....Tan Please don't forget to positively rate me as that is the only way I get paid for helping you. Rating does not close the question and you come back at any time for more help.