Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have a 1999 Johnson 50hp. I have no spark but have changed

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Johnson 50hp. I have no spark but have changed the stator, timer base, coil, and power pack. Have good good cranking voltage. Am I over looking anything?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just paid a shop $875 for a boat back that still doesn't start.
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will assist you. Next thing to check or normally the first thing to start with before replacing all those parts is to disconnect the black / yellow wire from the power pack and check for spark now. If there is then the problem is most probably a defective ignition switch or safety lanyard switch or else a shorted wire in the harness.Check the above and let me know. Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have it disconnected and still no spark. Also removed the rectifier. 2 purple wires were snipes so I added new connectors to those and added them to the wire block. I don't have a wire diagram of the block to see if the wires are in the right place. Also I did disconnect the 3 plug wire harnesses from the boat and jumped it at the solenoid to bypass the boat side and still no spark.
Then it looks like you have checked almost everything the only thing remaining is the spark plugs and the trigger that is just under the stator and you would have checked all the system
Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just installed a new trigger last night. Plugs are out of it. Been checking spark with a neon spark tester......lol.
It really is strange as there is nothing left that can disrupt the ignition system? final thing i think is to remove the wiring loom and to check each wire going to the coils for continuity, other then that i cannot figure out. Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Did a total retest tonight.Keep in mind a shop installed new stator and power pack from CDI Electronics.I installed new timer base and coil also from CDI Electronics.Removed flywheel, stator, timer base it check install. Reinstalled components and cleaned magnets with light sandpaper (none broken or loose). Also added new ground wire from ground stud to coil.Keep in mind I have key on at helm and using a starter button on the solenoid.Black yellow disconnected at the power pack.Brn-Brn/Yellow. 635 ohms
Brn-Brn/Yellow. 376V DVA tested
Blue/White. 26.8 ohms
Green/White. 25.8 ohms
Blue/White. 0.00V. DVA tested
Green/White. 0.00 V. DVA tested
It looks like the power pack is not giving voltage? Is the power pack you changed new? Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. The shop installed a new pbr. Date code on power pack is 12-7-14
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the shop installed a new one. Date code on power pack is 12-7-14
It seems that the new box is defective too. I think you better have the shop test it again and replace it for you.
Noel