Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Off you ate there now I can use the help

Customer Question

Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with
What kinds of questions did you have? (I have about 10 back to you) but what did you have for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the boat was sitting for 2 years. had it fogged each year before winter. brought it back to start it and found it had no spark. I replace the coil the distributor the rotor and still no spark. found it it was the high-performance pickup assembly. Also called the electronic conversion kit that goes underneath the distributor. Replace that with Sierra part number 18 - 5289. then it seems to work as far as starts up but now it doesn't have any power it just idols. when I go to put a load on it it sounds like its bogging down. but when I rev the engine it seems to get into higher RPMs. and it also shakes a lot. then I checked the firing order on top of the manifold and made sure that from plug 1 that the order was correct on the distributer. the only thing I'm not sure of is where on the screw down distributor cap should be plugged number one.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Lets start with the basics first. 1. How old is the fuel?2. Have you checked compression, if yes, what are the numbers?3. Have you checked timing, and advance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the first thing I need to do is make sure that my number one cylinder spark plug wire is on the proper place on the cap can you tell me where that is? See picture and tell me if I can go by this
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You can't go by that.
What you would need to do to find #1 is remove all the plugs. Stick your finger over the #1 plug hole. Rotate the balancer clockwise until you feel compression build against your finger. Once you feel compression, keep on turning until the hash mark on the balancer hits the 0 mark on the timing tab. After that, lift up the distributor cap and see which post on the cap the rotor is pointing to. That is the post that would be #1. And that is the only reliable way to do it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand but I am at a lake and no tools and I want to make sure but my final order is right if I were to rotate according to my diagram and put it all-in-one plug / so that lines up with a red arrow on my diagram is that going to hurt the engine by rotating the plug wires on the distributor cap
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also can you tell me what distributor cap I have on my engine. Model 572bpbyc
Serial number T01307854
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but I don't understand a word you said. Can you clarify that for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay what I said was I'm at a lake and I do not have any tools. so I can't do it that way. what I want to do is pull all of the plugs all the distributor cap and rotate them in the direction so that my firing order starts with the red line in my diagram that I sent you
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay......... If thats what you want to do then what is holding you up. I dont understand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will it hurt the engine is my question
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I already explained the way to do this. There is no 2nd, or 3rd, or any other way do do any of this without tools. If you don't have the tools to do the job then i'm not sure what else to say honestly. If the firing order is off, there is a possiblity of engine damage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i did that. It is at zero. And the rotor is in the middle of two point connections. Can u help me from here. Also when I set the timing what should that be at for my engine
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The rotor spins clockwise with the engine cranking. So if it is between 2 posts. With the rotor spinning clockwise the next post that it would hit would be #1, does that make sense so far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but if I have it at top dead center on cyl 1 and the harmonic balancer is at zero. Shouldn't it line up with with the rotor at position 1? Also if I knew the timing light setting then it could be at a 6 degree plus or minus or whatever the setting should be? So if u had a timing light and the engine is running what is the setting for my engine?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Shouldn't it line up with with the rotor at position 1? It would if the timing was set to 0 degrees exactly. But the distributor turns in order to set the timing. So in regards ***** ***** firing order. Whichever post is next would be #1. After that, you would start and run the engine, and set the timing to 6 to 8 degrees before top dead center with a timing light.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking in. No rating has been put through yet so I wanted to see if you had any more questions on the issue? -Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok just got back to the boat. I have a few questions that have not been answered as well. please review and answer.
lastly what is the recommended setting or degrees for the timing light on the boat engine?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.The timing spec I will dig up for you in a minute. But I want to make sure I don't miss anything. Would you please let me know which questions I missed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serial number T01307854
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I don't understand. What did you want to know about the cap? You also said something earlier about having more questions. What were they?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the part number of the distributor cap. And also you want to get back with me with the timing setting
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The cap is part number(###) ###-#### ***** timing setting is 8 degrees before top dead center.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So is that after the center line or in front ofnit
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I do not understand you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wante to know what the part number was for the whole distributer for my engine.
I see on line there are 2 engines . there is I think a 2v and another engine wit 3 letter after it TBI.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/SternDrive/1998/572BPBYC/parts.html
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is Tan. The difference is the 2v is a carbureted engine and the TBI is the Fuel injected motor. Which motor do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the carborator
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The distributor isn't available anymore. Is there a reason you want to replace the complete distributor?