Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 2003 Mercury 2 cycle 90 hp outboard that has a weak

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Mercury 2 cycle 90 hp outboard that has a weak spark in all cylinders. It sputters and smokes. The fuel is good and the compression is 100 in all cylinders. I put a tester between the plugs and the wire and u can barely see the spark.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** spark on all cylinders is usually a bad stator. Do you have a DVA adapter or a peak reading volt meter to do the voltage out put test of the stator?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a volt meter
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Volt meter won't work it has to be a peak reading volt meter or a DVA adapter. Your volt meter won't read the correct voltages we need to get. Here is the DVA adapter we use in the field. https://www.google.com/search?rls=aso&client=gmail&q=dva%20adapter#q=dva+adapter&tbm=shop&spd=3194583778200694568
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll just replace the stator and hope it works
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok that is the logical and most common failure on this ignition system. We know all the circuits work as you have spark leaving only one thing low voltage coming from the stator. Post back if you need further assistance. Thank you...Tan