Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 95 Waverunner that died while in use last week and

Customer Question

I have a 95 Waverunner that died while in use last week and I have been unable to crank it since then. Is there a fuse or reset switch on the oil senser? It was out of oil in the reservoir when it died but has not tried to crank since the oil was refilled.
Thanks.
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.I am not sure exactly what you mean by "unable to crank". To some people that means the engine spins over but will not start, to others it means it will not spin over with the electric starter.If you ran the oil tank completely out of oil, the sad reality is the engine is hurt. What causes the engine to stop is lack of lubrication provided by the oil. It prevents the pistons from directly contacting the cylinder walls. Without oil, they rub the cylinder walls, which causes friction and generates more heat. Eventually the piston expands, due to the extra heat, until it is literally larger than the cylinder and seizes against the cylinder wall.If your engine still spins over but will not start, do a compression test on it to see where we are at. If it doesn't spin over, pull the spark plugs out, take the cover off the coupler cover between the engine and rear bulk head in the engine compartment, and grab the coupler and try to spin the engine over by hand.Let me know what you get for test results and we can go from thereThanksRSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem with the engine spinning but I did change the spark plugs. Nothing changed after that. The engine still spins but does not attempt to run. As if no spark is getting into the mix. Is there a fuse in the circuit?
Thanks,
Jim
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the additional information. There is a fuse in the electrical system but it is not on the ignition circuit so it does not affect spark. It protects the starter circuit, so if the fuse blows, the electric starter will not function.
At this point, the easiest thing to do is to pull the new spark plugs out of the head and put them back in the spark plug caps. Lay them on the head, AWAY from the open spark plug holes, and spin the engine over and see if they are sparking. Again, make sure the business end of the spark plug is away from the open spark plug hole in the cylinder head. If there is fuel inside the engine, when you crank it over, it could spray out, and if the spark plug is in the way and sparks, it could ignite, causing serious injury.
Where we are going with this diagnostic process is to determine which of the 3 basic elements required to make an internal combustion engine run. Spark, fuel and compression.
If we have spark, then we need to do a compression test next. It would be a plus to notice if the spark plugs come out of the head wet or dry too.
Let me know what you find.
Thanks Customer