Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

2008 mercury 60hp bigfoot EFI. Motor has developed problem.

Customer Question

2008 mercury 60hp bigfoot EFI. Motor has developed problem. Any thing above idle motor will die. Started out would make power if slowly advanced throttle but now just dies. Runs OK at idle and will start fine. Replaced the mechanical fuel pump, plugs, primer bulb, fuel filter. It seems to be fuel problem. Just took apart the water separator not dirty of gummed up. With electrical fuel pump out and turning key to run pump runs I can see the impeller turning. I'm about to take to dealer and wait two weeks if I cant figure it out soon. One other note when this problem got worse the tach started going crazy jumping all over now with boat at idle tach reads 3-5k. When tach jumps around engine speed is constant.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Can I get the serial number on the engine please. Have you checked fuel pressure to see what that reads when it stalls?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ser# ***** I don't have a way to check the fuel pressure.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It takes tools to work on the engine. What kinds of questions did you have about it?Also, when was the last time the cooling system was serviced with a new impeller and thermostat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serviced last year water PSI was good while running. If the engine thinks its at higher RPM's then it's actually at as indicated by erratic tach indication will it stall the motor? If cooling problem was present would alarm not sound? Do they sell an adapter to check fuel pressure?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Does the alarm system work, does it beep when you start it? On fuel pressure you can use a standard automotive fuel pressure gauge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alarm works will check fuel pressure
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, let me know what you get for fuel pressure with the boat at max speed, and we can take it from there.