Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 125 force out board motor on a bayliner boat and was

Customer Question

I have a 125 force out board motor on a bayliner boat and was runing down river and the motor jst shut shut off got tow home but now can get it started
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Have you done any testing on your own? what kinds of questions did you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 125 force out board motor and was going down river and on way back it just shut off on me I got tow home and now I cant get it to start I check spark and all 4 plugs have spark I change fuel primmer ball and put on a 5 gallon gas can but still wont turn over
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And my name is ken
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ken. How did you check spark, with a timing light, a spark checking tool, or did you just ground the plugs to the block? Also, have you checked compression yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just put to block and no on compression idk how
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You need tools in order to troubleshoot this. What you need is an adjustable gap spark tester, and a compression gauge. Are those tools you are willing to get? The other thing is if there is no spark that will require even more tools to troubleshoot further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not much on testing but the spark plugs have no ark band like a car they are flat on bottom is that normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also sprayed starting fluid in and all it did was back fired
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That is normal on the plugs. Really where you need to start is with a compression test. That will tell you if the powerhead is blown or not.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you want to do that and get back to me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok how do I do that and what tools are needed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a 1988 Bayliner and im trying to see if its worth keeping only got 1/2 a season use out of it and not trying spend arm and leg lol
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You would need to get a compression gauge. You can get those at any autoparts store. Click this link below to bring up a youtube video, this shows how to compression test an engine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSmNMWTDtZE Start with that first and let me know what you get.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks what should it be at psi?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
90 psi minimum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much I try and get back to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If all that is good what else
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Spark test with an adjustable gap spark tester, which you can also get at the autoparts store. Thats covered in the video as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did compression 2 spark nothing and other 2 at 80psi
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You no compression on 2 cylinders and 2 cylinders at 80 psi, is that correct?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, it looks like you read my reply and logged off. Can you clarify what you meant for me.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking in. No rating has been put through yet so I wanted to see if you had any more questions on the issue? -Jason