Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  23 years Caterpillar Engine Experience
30708357

I have a cat 3126 marine engine which is giving out black smoke

Customer Question

I have a cat 3126 marine engine which is giving out black smoke and a lack of power we have changed the turbo but this has made no difference
Category: Boat
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.
Most often back smoke indicates a problem in the air system. Specifically the turbo. Since you have replaced the turbo already. I would next suspect the air to air cooler if the engine has one. It can crack and cause low boost. When this happens, the engine will smoke black and be very low on power.
If the air to air cooler is OK. I would next suspect an injector. They can fail and over fuel a cylinder and cause black smoke.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.