Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Jeff ,I am trying to remove the lower unit on my evinrude 50 hp 4 s

Customer Question

hi Jeff ,I am trying to remove the lower unit on my evinrude 50 hp 4 stroke (2000)and the 6 bolts seem corroded, i dont want to snap them. is there any little secret to loosen them?
The water pump pumps sometimes and then it stops pumping causing overheating. The water pump has not been serviced as long as i have owned the motor and just figured it was time but the 6 bolts seem to tight and am concered of snapping them off.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately there isn't much you can do. You can try tapping the hear with a hammer while you try to unbolt them with a wrench. You can use a portable small hand held propane torch and play it on the housing next to the bolts, then let it cool, do this a couple of times. Other than that just go for it. If they break off usually it is the head. Pull the lower unit and then you can use some vice grips to remove the part left. It's rare to have the bolts break even with the housing and needing to be drilled out.Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well i was hoping for a little trick ,but am glad to hear that thy rarely break even with the case, and am going to give them a heavier tug. I just didn't want to snap them on the first twist. Thanks
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
I wish there was a trick I wouldn't have to spend half the day at times on broken, corroded fasteners. Tapping and heat works the best.