Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

I have a 1997 225 EFI My boat is having trouble getting

Customer Question

I have a 1997 225 EFI
My boat is having trouble getting on pad, and I'm wondering what has happened to the hole sho that I used to enjoy. The compression is good according to my local mechanic.
It's like the motor spins out and the prop slips and the RPM's rev up as it is coming out of the hole. Today, I changed out the cracked torq sleeve insert inside the prop. I'm pretty sure the one I put in was good; however, I can't tell if the line going down it is a mold line, or if its another hairline crack in the plastic.
My question is do think its that, or is it possible that the gears are stripped where the vertical driveshaft and horizontal prop shaft might be stripped causing it to slip and rev the RPM"S up.
I'm puzzled! Once the boat finally gets on pad it runs good on the top end side...just absolutely no hole shot.
My mechanic, that I've taken the boat to several times, tells me that he thinks that its the ethanol gas; however, I've recently been buying gas with no ehtanol plus I've added an octane booster to this tank of gas.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
It is possible it was your insert, did you see any damage to the splines in there? It is not possible for the internal gears to slip for more than a minute or so before catastrophic failure, so I don't think that could be the issue. I don't know what kind of shape your prop is in, but if it is nicked up or has bent blades that could cause cavitation when getting on plane. Also if you have added any new accessories like a depth finder puck or water pickup that disturbs water flow in front of the motor, that could cause your issue also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the splines are in good shape. I'll buy another torq hub and try it tomorrow. Blade is in perfect condition. Do the inserts in the vent holes make much difference? Small round plastic insert with small hole...allows more or less exhaust to come out around the prop. I had two out, and took out the third....don't see that making much of a difference.can you think of anything else that could cause it to rev up besides the torq hub insert?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Whoa! Don't bother with a new hub till you get those plugs back in the prop hub. Those holes are put there to make the prop "slip" on take off. Get the plugs in first and see if it pulls better. Some lower powered boats need that prop slip to accelerate and get the RPM's up, but they will inhibit "hole shot".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 3 holes around the prop. two of the inserts were already out...and have been out. I just took out 1 today, and I'll put it back in. Where can I find replacement inserts so that I can experiment with the other two holes to see if it helps?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Most boat shops will have those plugs or can order them fairly easily. I would definitely do that first, even small changes that close to the prop can have large effects. Have you added any new accessories lately or made other changes before this happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no accessories have been added, no modifications have been made.i'm the only owner of the boat....I just know how its run for years, and something has happened...its been frustrating
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let's get the prop straight first and see where we go from there, we'll get it figured out.