Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2002 bravo 3 took to boat mechanic. he replaced gimbile

Customer Question

I have a 2002 bravo 3 took to boat mechanic. he replaced gimbile bearing,bellows, shift cable, fluids. ran all day Friday, at the end of day running about 2500rpm heard a clunk then motor died, it wouldn't turn over. the next morning hit the ignition it fired right up. so off we went for another day. it did it again after 6-8 hrs on the lake. next morning it fire up again but didn't make it far before a hard vibration started. help?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. MY name is***** you checked the gear lube in the drive? Do you know if the engine alignment was checked before they reinstalled the drive. Did the motor shut off abruptly or die slowly? When you go to crank the motor what does it do? Do you hear anything? Can you tell where the sound might be coming from the engine or the drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not checked gear lube it was just replaced, the drive oil resivour is full. I don't know if alignment was checked. The motor died abruptly, when it would turn over it made a. Growling noise. I first thought the noise was coming from the starter. But the next day when it started there was no noise. The third day the vibration and noise started right away. In drive but in neutral the motor sounds great.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok we need to check the drive lube at the bottom of the drive. The vibration could be an alignment issue which may have caused some damage to the engine coupler, u-joints or the gimbal bearing. The vibration is the concern. Does the engine seem to run ok? Does it run up to the correct rpms?