Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a searay 220 inboard with 2 props...today it started

Customer Question

I have a searay 220 inboard with 2 props...today it started an issue with forward motion...it goes fine in reverse but sounds "out of sync" in forward. At first, the prop would spin but the boat wouldn't move forward...then it finally did, but not correctly...felt as if it was slipping and the wake off the engine was not symeterical as it usually is...was churning off to one side all the way back to port..
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** get the engine serial number please? Is this an inboard or sterndrive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a 260 hp inboard 2011 mercruiser,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's a stock motor that came with the boat and has about 60 hours on the engine
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
I need the engine serial number please. Is this a Bravo 3? If you have 2 props this has to be a sterndrive boat. They don't make a 2 prop inboard engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I don't have the serial number available...but yes, it's the standard propulsion Bravo III, 260 hp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.0 MPI ECT (260 hp- 194kW) if that helps
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I will have to opt out as I have no info on the Electronic shift.? Another expert will be along to help.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** am a different expert here.
Do you know if you have DTS digital controls on the boat. Or do you have standard mechanical/cable controls?
Also, can you explain your issue a little deeper for me. What exactly is it doing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
awesome....i have to wait another 24 hours? thank you anyway, I just wished they had referred me to the proper person initially
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry???? This is Jason, not Tan, I am another expert here. Did you see my reply?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, our emails crossed......I'm not sure of the controls...I just purchased the boat...it has the "smartcraft" system, if that helps...it has a lever for the throttle...
we left the beach the other day and the boat would not move forward when i hit the throttle, but the prop was spinning..it went fine in reverse but would not move forward at all...after a few times of toggling between forward and reverse it finally moved forward but was not leaving a streamline wake as usual...it was splashing water onto the swim platform and was not riding as smooth as usual.....
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Can you take a picture of your shifters so I can see what they look like?Also, are you sure they are Bravo 3's?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes....you can search the archives on searay website..it has all the specs...there is just one shift on the port side of the boat at the driver console...push forward to go forward and pull back for reverse with neutral at 12 oclock...and toggle on shift to raise and lower props.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just one prop shaft but has 2 propellers on it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not at my boat so I can't take a picture
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Your going to have to take this one in, it's not going to be something that can be solved online. Good luck.