Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1975 johnson 70hp outboard motor and when its cold

Customer Question

i have a 1975 johnson 70hp outboard motor and when its cold it wil not fire... No fire from the coils... when the outside tempature raises then she'll start right up... what would cause this to happen
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** is an indication of a bad stator or timer base. Do you have an ohm meter to do some testing of these components?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure do ... I can work on cars, I have any tool at a good friends shop that I need
what do I need to do & what readings should I get
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect the stator brown and brown/yellow from the power pack. Test between the brown to brown/yellow you should have 400-600 ohms. Then disconnect the timer base wires from the power pack. Black/white and white/black test between the 2 you should have a reading of 10-20 ohms. If you have a peak reading volt meter we can do a voltage out put test when cranking. Testing on the same wire brown to brown/yellow cranking speed 150-400 volts. Then on the timer base blk/wht to wht/blk 0.6 + volts Post back with questions and findings. Thank you......Tan