Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 99 glastron w/volvo penta 3.0 and it over heated.

Customer Question

I have a 99 glastron w/volvo penta 3.0 and it over heated. After cool down she turned over but does not fire up. There is no water in oil, any tips on where to begin the process of getting back into running order.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Have you checked compression or spark yet? Will it hit on starting fluid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will be checking for spark later today
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Check compression at the same time and let me know what you get for results.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, just checking in. Any progress?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked compression and the following are the numbers
1. 133
2. 135
3. 75
4. 133
Spark on all four plugs,
Removed intake water pump and the impeller was, shot.
Did I mention that all this is new to me. Thought I got a decent price on boat. ( maybe not ) but it looks great in the driveway. Also replacing upper exhaust boot. I thought I read that Volvo does not use the flapper any more.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Volvo does not use a flapper. But you have either a bad head gasket or bad valves with #3 being only 75 psi. Because it's not firing at all chances are its a bad valve. I don't know how far you were looking to take this yourself but the cylinder head would have to come off for inspection next. I think that should do it. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank. Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking in. No rating has been put through yet so I wanted to see if you had any more questions on the issue? -Jason