Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have a Yamaha 4 hp 4 stroke marine outboard engine (F4SMHA).

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha 4 hp 4 stroke marine outboard engine (F4SMHA). I cannot get the engine to start. I do not know if there is some setting or switch I have to set properly. Another theory is that the engine is flooded but I do not know how to address that either. The fuel tank is full.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will assist you. So first thing you need to check is that the fuel shut off valve is set to ON. Then next thing is to make sure the safety lanyard switch has the lanyard connected. This needs to be connected by pulling out the switch and inserting it under it as in the pic in the following link: http://easternyachts.com/cley/images/yamaha.jpgThe lanyard is the red cord. Finally if these are ok open the vent of the fuel tank and pull out the choke ( the one on the left next to the fuel connection). Put the throttle onto the start position and pull the pullstart cord. It should start within 5 pulls. If you still have trouble starting it let me know. Noel