Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

32 foot wafarer. Brand new diesel engine installed about 5

Customer Question

32 foot wafarer. Brand new diesel engine installed about 5 years ago. Has been siting on the water for about 3years. Unused due to health problem. Wanted to dispose of it.
The boat moves forward but does not reverse. How big is the problem?
Thanks
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The problem you are describing can be either a stupid problem or a big problem, but you need to do some checking first. You need to check if the cable is moving to the reverse position and check on the gearbox itself if the gear lever is moving to the reverse position. If that is moving properly then the problem is more serious as it will be a problem with the gear box. At this stage you would need to open the gear box ideally by a mechanic to check it out. If you need further assistance let me know. Noel