Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 30 HP 'V' drive Yanmar Diesel in my yacht. The problem

Customer Question

I have a 30 HP 'V' drive Yanmar Diesel in my yacht. The problem I have, aside from refurbishing the vessel after being under water, at a depth of 30 metres for 11 days, is that I am getting water in my gearbox! The engine faces the stern with the 'v' drive incorporating the gearbox. This box is cooled via a transfer plate attached on the outside of the gearbox with it's own cooling system. Thinking perhaps the transfer plate or the gaskets were allowing water to enter. The plate was tested for holes and new gaskets were fitted. This didn't solve the problem! To further complicate the matter water mixed with oil is found in the sump tray under the engine and gearbox, having somehow emptied the gearbox????? How is this possible?? And yes the engine is the same one that went down with the boat. Refurbishing the starter-motor and using a new alternator it is still giving sterling service. Any ideas?? *********
Category: Boat