Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have 2002 johnson 150. The last two days it ran great for

Customer Question

I have 2002 johnson 150. The last two days it ran great for about an hour. Then hot warning went off and all I could do was idle. Good stream of water. When try to excellerate it would shutter
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
If you have a good stream of water then chances are one or more thermostats are clogged or has failed. If you look at the cylinders from behind at the top of each cylinder head is a thermostat cover.
The thermostat cover screws in. Warning, don't force the cover or use a wrench on the center as you may break the cover, it's plastic!
Once off check the cavity for any debris. If they haven't been replaced in a few years go ahead and replace the thermostats. Check them for debris clogging them as well.
Your system is relatively simple but has to be working properly.
Check the thermostats and post back what you find and we can go from there.