Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2005 Mercury Optimax 115 Salt Water that keeps alarming

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Mercury Optimax 115 Salt Water that keeps alarming under a load approaching 4000 rpm
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today.Is the alarm beeping or solid tone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The alarm is beeping. It seems to happen whenever I try to increase the RPM above 4000. If I lower the RPM below 3000 it goes away. If I push the motor past 4500 rpm the motor seems to stall as if it is going into Guardian mode. About a year ago, I took it to the local dealer and they claimed my fuel was 30% water. They charged me $700 to replace filters and get rid of the old fuel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After the repair a year ago it seemed to be ok for a couple of months. The boat was not used for approximately 6 to 8 months later and here I am today.
I do think I may have overfilled the oil tank a while back. I have read about a level sensor internal to the tank.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I should add that the oil tank level is down now so I know that the oil injection system is working.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Alright,
On the left side of the engine is the VST. There is a drain on the front of it. Remove the hose from the rear drain and then open the FWD drain and catch the fuel in a glass jar. Make sure that you do not have any water in it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By saying rear of VST, you are refering to the filter end of VST or the HP pump end.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
The pump end. You will be draining the filter end.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check the VST for water this afteroon.
While we are waiting on this. Can I ask what I need to tune up this outboard?
What parts are typically replaced on a normal tune up.?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Water pump, fuel filter, gear oil, Depending on the hours of the engine, the oil filters, spark plugs are checked and possibly replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not get a chance to check for water yesterday. Will do so this afternoon.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally got the gasoline sample form the VST yesterday and the sample looks great. No signs of water or debrie.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Was that both sides of the VST?
Have you filled the oil tank yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the gasoline sample is good from both sides of the VST.
The oil tank level is full.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
do you have a multimeter?