Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I just purchased a 1996 Sea Ray 250DA Sundancer last week.

Customer Question

I just purchased a 1996 Sea Ray 250DA Sundancer last week. Had the boat surveyed twice with good results. Took the boat out two days ago. Never went above 3,500 rpm's for maiden cruise. After an hour, the outdrive began have a vibration and the make some clunking and popping noises as the rpm's went above 2,000. The engine seemed to bog down above 2,000 rpm's as well. Made it back to the marina at idle speed. Engine parameters always stayed with their normal range.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** there gear lube in the gear lube monitor? We need to check the gear lube in the drive. Pull the bottom drain plug get a sample of the lube. What is the color of the lube?Did you happen to notice if the noise was worse when you turned the drive left or right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I made it to the marina just before closing, and they lifted the boat into the rack before I could do any trouble shooting. It was the 4th of July weekend, so things were hectic at the marina. Needless to say, I know to look for some creamy oil in the drive if there is an issue. As for the noise being worse if the drive was to the left or to the right, it did not matter. It was not the noise as much as the rumbling vibration coming from the drive. The engine bogging down above 2,000 rpm was also prevalent.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok the rumbling could be the gimbal bearing. Pull the drive and inspect the u=joints and the gimbal bearing. The u=joints will be real loose and the gimbal bearing will be crunchy when you turn the bearing. Now you also may find that the u-joint bellos is full of water.These are all things we have to inspect to know if they are bad.Hopefully it is the gimbal bearing. Post back with findings.