Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

1994 30 hp Mercury 2nd hand runs excellent . Added power

Customer Question

1994 30 hp Mercury 2nd hand runs excellent . Added power trim and tilt later. As I reverse it to pull back off a lift, the motor bucks, and prop comes out of water and motor bounces on transom . At very low rpm no problem. Forward no problem . Any suggestions for that or not to worry. Is a bolt missing ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Can I get the serial number on the engine please.
Next, what do you mean by you added power trim later? Was that an aftermarket system, or the factory trim system for that engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chuck
Serial # ***** Mfg date 3-31-94
Powers trim/tilt added apparently after original sale , CMC unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Boat,16 ft Alumacraft was not in water last 3 years. I got it this January and have had it in water3 times in last 2 weeks in Minnesota and am generally pleased with it.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chuck. You more than likely have what is called the PT35 trim unit. It's not supposed to behave like that, and it should hold in reverse. There is obviously a problem inside of the unit and it will have to go back to Cook MFG to be repaired. So that is what needs to be done. Did you have any further questions on the issue?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Check. Just checking In. Did you have any further questions on the issue?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking in. No rating has been put through yet so I wanted to see if you had any more questions on the issue? -Jason