Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

1993 Yamaha 175 hp 2-stoke after cruising hour at idling

Customer Question

1993 Yamaha 175 hp 2-stoke after cruising for an hour at idling speed the alarm went off. That happened a couple years ago, the oil tank was low. I topped it up and no more alarm. This time I checked oil to learn the reservoir was nearly empty. Limped home. Added 2 qu arts today. Tr ied the engine, still the alar is sounding. How do I turn off the alarm?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
you will need to fill the tank located in the boat. Then use the emergency switch on the engine to fill the tank on the engine. With both tanks full, that will turn off the alarm. If it continues to go off, you have a bad float switch in the engine tank.