Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have mid 80's - early 90's 90hp. 3 cyl. 2stroke mercury and

Customer Question

I have mid 80's - early 90's 90hp. 3 cyl. 2stroke mercury and two questions ...1 im looking to identify specifics by serial # ***** my serial tag is all #s most ive seen researching this include letters ...generally oa my tag #are(###) ###-####can you clarify this please . 2 my bot***** *****ne problem is that i have fuel up to and thru carbs but not delivering thru "intake ports" to cylinders to fire . Will fire and run thereafter if primed directly into cylinder . Then will not cold start again without repriming cylinder
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
The serial number is ***** Can you be more specific by what you mean by delivering through "intake ports"? What are you calling an intake port? Does the engine idle/make full power after after you get it going with starting fluid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine does make full power has normal quick throttle response and after initial start will restart at a snap while warm. Intake port which carb bolts to ...have flush cleaned carbs HMK-35 ( gummy varnish yuk) while carbs were off noticed component resembling old rotary phone 2per cylinder upper n lower (reed valve or similar?)...fuel does not apear to go any further than there ...cylinders and plugs remain dry but fuel seems sufficient into carbs system
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Is the choke working on the engine? If you push the key in does the choke solenoid activate, and do the choke shutters close?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes can hear it and floods compartment if keep bumping it
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by floods? Is gas pouring out of the front of the carbs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes will flood from front of carbs ...there are no actual choke butterflies just one hooked to throttle linkage and no manual choke either ...when put hand in place to choke it really makes fuel flood from front
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today.Is this your carb?http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/90%20%283%20CYL.%29/0A996142%20THRU%200B240450/CARBURETOR/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Charles my name is ***** ***** for responding... not the one in diagram float is on the starter side and float bowl is 2 1/2 "tall stamped with WMK-35-1,2,3percylinder
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Is this a 6 cylinder 3 carb motor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha, When you squeeze the primer bulb, does it get firm?Does any fuel come from the center of the carbs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Primer bulb firms as normal. Fuel doesn't come thru orfice as a spray but floods from frontside carbs when you push key to choke if held too long ...activates enrichener valve
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
What is the compression on the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dont have compression tester . I think...it will fall into normal ranges all cylinders ....motor is strong and snappy ...just cold blooded on first daily start ...when i purchase boat had sat 3plus years without post season winter prep ....fuel system gooey . This season would not start ...fire enuff to kik bendix out but not start .. process of elimination led me to fuel up to and thru carbsbut NOT into cylinders ...dry as bone ...prime thru plug holes motor fires n runs and refires while warm.... after cool down have to reprime ....again fuel up to and thru carbs Not into cylinders . I know there are no "intake valves"on two strokes ....dirt bikes have reed valves are boat fuel delivery systems same principle ...feeling like all the fuel i can push to carbs aint gettin to pistons n plugs to combust does this sound possible/probable
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
That may be possible, but if the reeds were sticking, the motor ould not run at all, even after being primed.
How is the cranking speed of the engine?
do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if primed thru spark plug ?it has fuel compression and spark all that it needs till fuel is expended ...yes? and will run that way. Yes i have fluke87 which is waay smarter than me.... starter whirls over good justhad starter rebuilt have 12.37 volts at solenoid and the way she winds over thinking it has comparable juice on starter side of solenoid
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Test the voltage on the starter side of the solenoid just to make sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.17 starter side... rolls over good and quick
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked the timing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No along with comp.tester timing lite not tool that i have in tool box anymore ....grew legs n run off with a buddy .....wife still here tho.... it does spec timing out tho on sticker as 18degrees btdc @5000rpm
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
That is what is should be, we really need to know what it is at cranking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Soo..... i Need timing lite to verify this..correct
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O k ...string of cuss words... will i be able to continue with you... Charles ..my sunday afternoon guy...when i can do that ? Or will i have to start over with new guy?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
just reply back the same way that you have been today. You will be on the same question. I will be here for a while longer and most of the day tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O k thanks for your time I really appreciate it greatly may take day erso to locate n borrow lite have great afternoon
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
You do the same.