Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2011 mercury verado 250 hp that is used frequently

Customer Question

I have a 2011 mercury verado 250 hp that is used frequently on my 23 BW Dauntless. in the last two weeks the steering has got increasingly difficult. i can hear gurgling/air in the line. Is there a simple fix that handy person can do or is it better to get a Mechanic? Does it damage anything if i go out on a short run before bleeding/refilling?
Thanks
dr.d.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr D, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
You will need to get some Mercury steering fluid. Refill the res, on the steering pump. Start the engine and steer the engine back and forth while keeping an eye on the fluid level. If it drops add more fluid.
Once it is full, check all of the connections and the steering cylinder on the engine look for signs of a leak. When you find it, repair it and you will not lose any more fluid.