Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1988 88hp Johnson 2 stroke just got it its on a 17

Customer Question

i have a 1988 88hp Johnson 2 stroke just got it its on a 17 ft bass boat it idles fine but only does 33mph at 4600 rpm wot the guy I bought it from said in Michigan it would do 60 mph the redline for the motor is 5500rpm at wot is this a jet ishue im running it on a lake at 6200 ft elevation
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it is the jets ? what jet size do I need for 6200 feet elevation for this engine model and were do I buy them thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please email me back at***@******.*** thanks
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes you will need to get new high speed jets. They are in the bottom of each carb, you will need 4. You will order them from any Evinrude dealer. Let me see if I have that chart here or I may have to get it from the shop tomorrow morning.Probably 52C for the high speed and 36 - 38 for the low speed jets.But before ordering let me double check.