Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Motor dies when tilted up when in low speed. Motor also has

Customer Question

Motor dies when tilted up when in low speed.
Motor also has problems going in forward and reverse after first starting up, does eventually work it's way out of that problem but it bogs down when it does it.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rebuilt carbs and idled motor up
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hrllo, my name is***** wil be assisting you today. Would you please post the serial number of the engine?Tiller or remote?What is the idle RPM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not by motor but rpms 750 to 1000 at idle. And remote
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
2 Cylinder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes oil injected
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Great, When you shift the engine, is there a good thunk when it goes into gear?Has the engine been sitting for a bit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once or twice I've heard it shift. Not always and not enough to notice. No boat hasn't been setting long
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Your in gear idle needs to be about 800 RPM. does the engine die when it bogs down when trimmed up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes when engine is level it dies but if i work at the throttle moving it forward to neutral it does tend to work itself out and I can go after that
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Is you press in on the choke will the engine continue to run?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't tried but I know if I choke to long motor won't start
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
That is normal. I am talking about when the engine is running and about to stall, press the choke and see if the engine will stay running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Usually have to put motor in mid to low throttle to start " neutral throdle"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't tried only does all this when boats in water. Tried with the ears on and runs fine
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
You should be able to stat it with out advancing the throttle. Can you remove the drain screw on the carb and see what color the tip of it is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has two carbs
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok check both.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have to try when I get home when I looked at them looked like tight squez
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
They can be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there colored then what?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
You would need to clean the carbs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After they just rebuilt them no more than 30 days ago?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they may have not done them correctly.jCan you remove the fuel pump from the engine, remove the hose from the front of it, then squeeze the primer bulb to see if you get any fuel from wither the hole in the back of the pump or the nipple in the front?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Charles I took boat out and I can pump choke to keep boat running at start up but only in med. To full throttle (in gear).
U think my floats need adjusted?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
Inspect the entire fuel system from the tank to the engine. Make sure that the hoses are not plugged and the fuel pump is working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I check fuel pump? checked tank and lines all the way to ball pump. I don't have service Manuel any way I can get one cheap tried finding one but couldn't find one for a 1997.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Have I already had you test the fuel pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hold it seen u wanted me to remove it. Problem is I don't know we're it is. I'm home now so I can be by engine
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
remove the hose from the outside of it, then remove it from the side of the block. Leave the 2 fuel hoses attached. Use the primer bulb to see if you get any fuel out of the elbow or the back of the pump.
Pump is square and has 3 hoses going to it.
There is a large storm in my area, I am going to shut down for a bit. Have to protect the electronics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you